This fully updated and expanded edition of The Crusades: A History provides an authoritative exploration of one of the most significant topics in medieval and religious history. From the First Crusade right up to the present day, Jonathan Riley-Smith and Susanna Throop investigate the phenomenon of crusading and the crusaders themselves.
Now in its 4th edition, this landmark text includes:
- A new and more balanced book structure with updated terminology designed to help instructors and students alike
- Deliberate incorporation of a wider range of historical perspectives, including Byzantine and Islamic historiographies, crusading against Christians and within Europe, women and gender, and the crusades in the context of Afro-Eurasian history
- A dramatically expanded discussion of crusading from the 16th through to the 21st century
- A fully up-to-date bibliographic essay
- Additional textboxes, maps, and images
The Crusades: A History is the definitive text on the subject for students and scholars alike.