A full colour map, based on a digitised map of the city of Canterbury in 1907, with its Roman, Anglo-Saxon and medieval past overlain and important buildings picked out. Founded as the Roman town of Durovernum Cantiacorum, Canterbury grew to be more important than London. Canterbury Cathedral became a major European centre of pilgrimage following the murder of Archbishop Thomas Becket in 1170 and the centre of the Anglican church after the Reformation.
Although damaged in the Second World War, its many surviving medieval buildings make it a major attraction for visitors and home to three UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The map shows a small cathedral city in 1907 with large buildings, surrounded by orchards and a remarkable military presence. The map's cover has a short introduction to the city's history, and on the reverse an illustrated and comprehensive gazetteer of Canterbury's main sites of interest, from the city's Roman theatre and forum to medieval monasteries, the city's walls and its castle.
Produced with Canterbury Archaeological Trust and Canterbury Christ Church University.