In response to growing pressure on early years practitioners to adopt a `tick-box' approach to recording children's progress, Celebrating Children's Learning sets out a bold, alternative vision for assessment in the early years. Drawing upon an inspiring collaboration between London nursery schools, this book explores and reconsiders the purpose of observation in early years settings.
Contributors provide a range of examples to guide early years practitioners as they develop their own methods of observation. Play, social interaction, and cooperation with parents are shown to be valuable opportunities for keen observation. Chapters discuss:
- moving beyond data-focussed assesment
- Characteristics of Effective Learning
- ensuring inclusive assessment
- collaborating with parents from diverse backgrounds
- outdoor learning - a Forest School approach.
Inspiring and empowering, Celebrating Children's Learning is essential reading for teachers, practitioners, and students involved in early education.